LGBTQ+ Western was established in August 2018. We strive to advance the holistic thriving of diverse LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff by collaboratively engaging the Western community with transformational knowledge, resources, advocacy, and celebration.
In its inaugural year, LGBTQ+ Western's work included:
- Facilitating workshops and class visits reaching over 1,000 people.
- Providing at least 194 individual and small group consultations for 269 students, faculty, and staff. Regular office hours offer drop-in time for students, faculty, and staff to seek support and consultation.
- Hosting and co-hosting events and discussions attended by hundreds of students, staff, and faculty, including events recognizing the 50th anniversary of Stonewall and a Pride Celebration where we honored our graduating LGBTQ+ students.
- Via the LGBTQ+ Western website and emails, engaging the Western community with information about events and resources related to diversity of sexual orientation and gender identity.
This academic year, we expanded our work to include:
- Producing a Queerientation program in the Fall attended by 100 new students.
- Hosting a Queering Research Series in partnership with Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Offering weekly virtual gatherings including Queer Yoga, Mindful Self-Compassion Practices, and Queer Arts & Culture Conversations to support students in staying healthy and connected during COVID-19.
Your contribution makes a difference! Donations to LGBTQ+ Western:
- Support programming that advances the visibility, understanding, and celebration of LGBTQ+ people and cultures at Western.
- Provide emergency financial assistance to assist LGBTQ+ students in staying enrolled and successful at Western in the event of unanticipated significant economic hardship.
- Support Western students, faculty, and staff participation in LGBTQ+ conferences beyond Western that advance leadership development and/or engage queer and trans intellectual and artistic inquiry.