The mission of the Salish Sea Institute is to foster responsible stewardship of the Salish Sea, inspiring and informing its protection for the benefit of current and future generations. The Salish Sea Institute addresses this need for ongoing and respectful dialogue and action by providing a structure for scholarly collaboration across boundaries of culture and political geography.
- Promotes dialogue and partnerships among people, organizations and agencies throughout First Nations and tribal communities, Washington State, and British Columbia
- Serves as the administrative home of the Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference
- Hosts gatherings to cultivate collaborative governance and protection of the Salish Sea
- Develops place-based curriculum, research and events for students to explore the environment, history and communities of the Salish Sea
- Fosters a sense of place and raises awareness of the value of the Salish Sea and the issues that threaten its health